Friday, December 30, 2011

I Run Because I Can



I've been in Michigan the past few weeks for the holidays. While I've loved seeing friends and family, I was definitely out of my element. My route here has been the subdivision I grew up in. As I run down these streets I am reminded of my childhood. Of best friends. Of boys. Of playing hide and seek and bloody murder once it got dark enough out. Building forts with unused wood from new houses. Sledding and snowball fights. I had it pretty good. I was always active in sports and school events. And I was rarely ever sick. I never realized it then how blessed I was. To have two parents that loved me and a never-ending supply of energy.
Just from learning more about the Lymphoma and  Leukemia Society, my eyes have been opened. Leukemia is the most common form of cancer found in children under 20, while lymphoma is the third. One of the main things LLS does is try to find treatments that are effective, but at the same time allow patients to get back to normal as soon as possible. So that they can be kids again.



And so I will continue to run. To help raise awareness. To help make some small difference by supporting the LLS's research and developments. And for all the children that weren't as lucky as I was growing up. Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment