Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Note Of Gratitude



I've been running with Team In Training for a few months now. I've run farther than I ever thought I could, and have raised almost $500 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I am blown away by the people I meet each week and have slowly realized that it's not about me. I've heard from teammates that have lost a parent or a close friend, one whose grandmother was recently diagnosed, and one whose wife passed away last year. And don't even get me started on my coach, who is a survivor, and is out there encouraging us every weekend and throughout the week.

While you would think that all of these people would be caught up in their grief, I am astounded by the amount of gratitude they have shown to all of us. They too realize it's not only about their personal story, but the team as a whole. How every Saturday morning at 7am when we make the decision to run, it's one more example of people wanting to make a difference. It's not about how fast we are running or how much we've raised, but the people whose lives our decisions now will help later on. Because eventually cancer is going to affect us all. It's just a matter of when. So my question to you is whose team do you want to be on when that time comes? I've made mine. The team that decides to not sit around and mope but to fight back and take charge, grateful for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment